Luke 14:28-32 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
In business world, taking stock is known and the importance of it is recognized. Yet, Christians are not able to make the best use of this precious gem. We must sit down and with our writing materials take stock of the just passing away year. In doing this, we must identify some points in our lives. To identify failure or success, we must establish a reference level – The Purpose Of Our Existence. Upon this level, we can identify success or failure. Once there is a sense of purpose, we will then know where we are going. Remember that if you aim at nothing, you will kill it.
- WHY AM I HERE?
Joseph was not useful until he identified his purpose of stay in Egypt. Esther was highly productive after recognizing her purpose of being in the palace. So, why are you where you are?
- Man’s Ways Gen 5: 1 – 32; Isaiah 22: 13
- God’s Way Isaiah 43: 7, 21; Luke 1: 17; Titus 2: 14; John 20: 21
Points to think about – Matthew 6: 19 -21, 24, 25, 33
- WHAT HAVE I ACHIEVED FOR GOD?
What is interesting to God in my life? What will God reward me upon? Job 4: 3, 4; 29: 12 – 17; Matthew 25: 33 – 40; Romans 12: 6 – 21
- In my ministry
- In my church
- In my family
- In my working place
- In my relationship with others
- How many did I win for God?
- How many did I influence or uplift?
3. WHERE AND ON WHAT DID I FAIL?
- On obedience 1Sam 15: 22 – 23
- On holiness 1Thes 5: 22, 23
- On carelessness
- On evangelism Luke 19: 13
- On making use of available time and opportunities 7: 29
- On my prayer and study life Acts 6: 4
- In my worship and fellowship Acts 2: 44 – 47; 3: 1
- WHAT CAN I LEARN FROM FAILURE OR SUCCESS?
- What are agents of my success?
- What useful efforts did I make?
- What type of behaviour helped me?
- Who did God use to assist me?
- Which areas can I do better?
- How can I maintain my success?
- What led me to fail?
- Were there some warnings I did not take heed to?
- Were there some miserable counsellors that I listened to?
- Did I copy or compromised?
- Did I tolerate laziness?
- Did I give chance to self-indulgence?
- Did I allow sin?
- WAY TO SUCCESS
Joshua 1: 8, 9; Psalms 1: 1 – 3; Philippians 3: 7 – 14